Social media can help improve your business’s all-important search engine ranking. Here are eight ways to build your business’s presence on social media.
Social media has evolved from a simple recreational past time to a powerful—and free—marketing tool for both individuals and businesses. According to Statista, there were 970 million worldwide social media users in 2010 and that figure is now close to 2.5 billion in an increase of 253%.
With social media users forecasted to exceed 3 billion by 2021, it’s now very important for businesses to focus on their social media output to reach a portion of that vast potential audience. But there are other benefits to a strong social media presence beside the obvious, namely your business’s prospects for an all-important high ranking on search engines.
Why is Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) so important? Improved search engine rankings give your business increased exposure and brand awareness in a cost-effective way. A high search ranking also crafts a better image for your business, positioning it as an authority.
As per Mr. SEO, Google—the world’s most prominent search engine—provides 12 billion searches a month for its users. 93% of all buying decisions starts with an online search, while being on top of those search results attracts 32.5% of web traffic. On average, the second result’s share drops to 17.6%, whereas the 10th-ranked link on the first page of search engine results attracts just 2.4% of web traffic. Therefore, it’s important to make the online arm of your business as SEO-friendly as possible.
Google has gradually moved to indexing social media content on its search engine. This could eventually see webpages and social media posts hold equal importance in online search rankings.
As of now, Google mostly favours and, in turn, promotes established brands and online influencers with large audiences. With that in mind, it has never been as important to grow your social media following as it is today.
Below are eight ways social media could help your business boost its search engine rankings:
- Build strong profiles on all social networking platforms. Your business looks a lot more impressive if it has a sizeable presence across the spectrum of social networks.
- Engage with your customers in real time. Speaking to customers directly is a fantastic way to gain online exposure for your business, promoting your brand’s authority.
- Think outside the box to find potential customers. On Twitter, you could scour search results relating to your business to assist and eventually steer new customers towards yours.
- Don’t treat your social media platform as an afterthought. An active social media presence is key to building a large following.
- Keep an eye on growing trends. Creating content relating to your business and popular trends is one of the best ways to build your online following.
- Use popular, but relevant, hashtags. Hashtags and other social network equivalents are easy ways your social media posts and website content can reach larger audiences.
- Interact with new followers. Making new followers feel welcome often results in increased engagement with your social media platforms.
- Seek out online influencers and use them to your advantage. Whether it’s a simple tag of another social media account in a post, shares or retweets, this is positive collaboration.